Mock Oreo Cookies
- 3/4 cup rice flour
- 3/4 cup tapioca flour
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 2 teaspoons egg substitute
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup butter, margarine works fine too
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 each egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour mix, xanthan gum, egg replacer, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a bowl of the mixer, cream the margarine and sugar until light. Add the egg and vanilla and beat well.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 additions. If the dough becomes too stiff, add the milk as needed.
- Shape the dough into two 10"x1 1/2" rolls. Wrap in foil (or plastic wrap)and chill. Chill for about 15-20 minutes.
- Cut into 1/8" slices, if you have a cookie stamp, you can at this point press it into the sliced cookies before baking. Bake these cookies on an UNGREASED cookie sheet for 10 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes before removing from the cookie sheet. Cool thoroughly on a rack.
- For the filling, combine confectioners' sugar, shortening, vanilla and hot water (use enough to create a good spreading texture).