taken from "The Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread" by Bette Hagman
- 1 1/4 cups Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Flour Mix*
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup dry milk powder (substitute almond meal or soy milk powder for DF)
- 1 tsp egg replacer
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk (or water)
- Combine the flour mix, xanthan gum, milk powder, Egg Replacer, baking powder, salt and brown sugar in your mixing bowl. Cut in the shortening with a pastry cutter or fork.
- Beat the egg yolks until light. Beat the whites to soft peaks. Set aside.
- Add most of the liquid to the dry mix until well incorporated. Use the remaining as needed to get the consistency of cake batter. Stir in the egg yolks. Gently fold in the whites. Spoon onto a hot waffle iron and bake.
MACADAMIA WAFFLES: If you don't use the almond meal, add 3 tablespoons macadamia nuts that have been chopped and roasted in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes.
* I use Bob's Red Mill Mix because I keep massive amounts on hand and it is very convenient and easily adaptable. However, if you keep a mix of your own then it should work just fine in this recipe. The original version calls for a "Four Flour Bean Mix," so if you just keep flours on hand, and want a basis to work off of it is: Four Flour Bean Mix, 1 cup rice flour, 1 cup tapioca flour, 1 cup cornstarch, and 1 tbs potato flour. Note: potato flour is different from potato starch, it is often used as a thickener.