Thursday, August 5, 2010

Chicken Dopiaza

I'm now entering the 'upload as many recipes as quickly as possible' phase, basically all the random recipes I have stashed on my computer that I nabbed from a website, blog, friends, work, family, or that were amazing enough that I bothered copying them out of one of my cookbooks. I got this recipe from when I worked for dining services at Dartmouth College. If you're ever in Hanover, and have the sudden urge to eat college food, you can't do much better than Pavilion. It's in the back of Thayer Hall and provides Halal and Kosher meals. This recipe is scaled down a lot from the original serving size, but it works just fine. Great if you're looking for something with a bit of an Asian feel, but simple to make, and not too spicy.


6 servings

Chicken Dopiaza



* 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
* 3 ounces pearl onions
* 1 1/2 each bay leaves
* 1 1/2 tablespoons cardamom , pods or powder
* 1/2 tablespoon cloves
* 1 1/2 tablespoons chili peppers, dried, red
* 1/2 tablespoon black pepper
* 18 ounces onion, julienned
* 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped in oil
* 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger, fresh chopped
* 1/2 tablespoon coriander, ground
* 1/2 tablespoon cumin, ground
* 1/4 tablespoon turmeric, ground
* 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
* 1/4 tablespoon salt
* 21 ounces tomato, fresh chopped
* 3/4 cup water
* 1 3/4 pounds chicken thigh



1. Heat oil: Saute Julienne onions. (Here's a link on how to julienne an onion http://www.hungrycravings.com/2008/09/cutting-onions-slice-versus-julienne.html)
2. ADD TO ABOVE: BAY LEAVES ,CARDAMOM PODS, CLOVES , CHILLIS, BLACK PEPPER, PEARL ONION, GARLIC & GINGER.
3. ADD DICED TOMATOES, CHICKEN & WATER. Put in a long deep pan, something like a brownie pan.
4. COOK COVERED AT 350°F UNTIL DONE. (I can't remember how long it took last time I made it, about half a year ago, I would guess about 30-40 minutes, but be sure to check and see if it hits 170° F)

No comments:

Post a Comment